Strengthening Pediatric Behavioral Health Care: How to Navigate Pressing Issues and Improve Outcomes
Delve deep into the current challenges and opportunities in pediatric behavioral health care and learn how to implement effective strategies to overcome barriers to care.
We are in the midst of a national conversation about children and adolescent mental health. In March 2023, the Emergency Care Research Institute (ECRI) identified the pediatric mental health crisis as the year’s top patient safety concern. In one decade, statistics point to a steep increase in suicide attempts — a 36% increase between 2009 and 2019.
Improving the assessment and treatment of pediatric mental health is imperative for primary care and pediatric care providers. But the issues are complex, and there’s a lot to unpack.
This detailed guide illuminates the role that adverse childhood experiences (ACEs) play in affecting pediatric mental health outcomes. It also explores the most pressing obstacles that keep children and adolescents from receiving the healthcare they need.
With some key shifts in approach, pediatric behavioral health providers can establish integrated care models and begin to close the gap in the time between symptom onset and intervention for pediatric patients. We’ll also show providers how to choose developmentally appropriate screening and assessment tools and integrate technology to reach all children sooner and dramatically affect outcomes.
Ready to ignite change? Get answers to these critical questions:
- What is fueling the increase in pediatric mental health issues?
- How do adverse childhood experiences (ACEs) affect a child’s vulnerability to mental illness?
- What are the five most significant barriers to pediatric behavioral healthcare?
- What role should pediatricians play in behavioral health treatment?
- How should assessment and treatment for pediatrics differ from adults?
- What are some important ways to strengthen children’s behavioral healthcare?
- How can you use digital tools to improve pediatric behavioral health outcomes?